Contest Sticky


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review on Tuesday : Beg For Mercy by Toni Andrews


Author : Toni Andrews
Publisher : Mira
Genre : Paranormal
ISBN : 978-0778323655
Series : Yes, #1 Mercy Hollings
Rating : 4

From Amazon :

I've never been certain I'm human. Oh, the X-rays and blood tests are normal, and most people have no reason to suspect I'm more than I appear to be. But if I tell you to do something? You do it -- no ifs, ands or buts.

I call my power the "press."

My name is Mercy Hollings, and if you think that having the power to control people makes my life easy, you're dead wrong.

Because when I get angry, everyone around me is at risk -- Sukey, my friend who has frightening taste in men; my clients, who, ironically, come to be for help; my neighbors, who regard me as a loner; and Sam, a man who wants to know my darkest secret.

I have hurt people in the past, and I don't want that to happen again. But now a powerful stranger is threatening the new life that I've made for myself.

And I'm afraid my anger is taking over.

Review :

I'm not sure why I waited as long as I did to finally pick this book up. I've literally had it on my to be read pile for a couple of months. The description alone had me intrigued, but then again, a lot of books intrigue me (and a lot of books are sitting on that same pile that this one finally came off of). I'm extremely happy I read this book though, it was a lot different than other paranormals, and for that reason alone I think I enjoyed it even more.

Mercy Hollings was born with the ability to command those around her to do what she wants, and they can't help but fulfill her wishes. She calls this ability 'the press'. She's not happy she has this ability, because it's caused her to feel as though she were a freak her whole life. It's also forced her to keep to herself, and not let many people in, for fear of who would find out. The last thing she wants is to become some kind of science experiment.

I thought this was an interesting ability for a paranormal heroin, especially since she doesn't have any other special abilities to back it up. She doesn't have super strength, and she can't move things with her mind. I guess that doesn't really matter when all you have to do is tell someone to do exactly what you want though.

I really liked the characters in the book, especially Mercy's best friend Sukey. She's a bubbly 30 year old woman that reminds me a little of myself. The only thing we don't have in common is that she likes big, 'beefy' biker guys, and she clings to them more than white on rice. One of the other characters that I am beginning to really like is Sam, the new guy in town that Mercy can't help but drool over. He owns his own business in the community and has a great interest in Mercy.

I'm very anxious to read the next book in this series,
Angel of Mercy, which is sitting here on my to be read pile. I'm curious to see where Mercy will go from here, and how much more her ability will develop. I'm also interested in seeing how her relationship with Sam will end up.

The third novel in the Mercy Hollings Series,
Cry Mercy, was just released on June 1, 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this is different. I've never even heard of it either! great review. Thanks for letting us know about the book.

Toni Lea Andrews said...

SO glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to hear what you think about the rest of the books in the series.