Contest Sticky


Friday, July 17, 2009

DNF Review : Between Wyomings : My God and an iPod on the Open Road by Ken Mansfield


Author : Ken Mansfield
Publisher : Thomas Nelson
Genre : Biographies & Memoirs
ISBN : 978-1595551658
Series : no
Rating : DNF (4 For Writing Style and Descriptive)

From Amazon :

Join Ken Mansfield on a road trip through the canyons of Hollywood, the outlaw alleys of Nashville, and the backstreets of his soul as this Grammy Award-winning producer recreates his journey through the lush landscapes of success and the deserts that led him home.

For three decades, Ken Mansfield lived the heady life of a record executive and friend to such cultural icons as the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Dolly Parton, and Waylon Jennings. He not only adventured through the parties of the Hollywood canyons, the backstages of Nashville honky-tonks, and the executive meetings of Savile Row in London, he helped create the music that would shape a generation. Along the way, he collected a Grammy, number-one albums, and a disquiet that he pushed soul-deep as he drove his Mercedes through long nights and lost days in search of an elusive truth. Between Wyomings invites readers to travel with one of the most intriguing music executives of the twentieth century on a tender journey through the sixties and beyond. Ken calls readers to reflect on the highways of their own lives, the turns and deserts that press them into the heart of a Creator who has been there all along. As Ken discovers, sometimes when we see how lost we are, we can finally begin to find home.

Review :

This is the first Did Not Finish Review that I am posting here on Falling Off The Shelf. I feel horrible for having to do it in the first place! I just could not get into this book. I tried and tried (got all of 100 pages in) and for the life of me could not get into the story.

I will say that the author does have a great way of describing everything, and that alone was the reason I hung on as long as I did. I was able to see everything that Mansfield was describing. As for the actual story itself, everytime I tried to recall what I had just read, I'd draw a blank! I thought since it was centered around music I would be interested, but I guess I was wrong.

Please don't let my review of this book persuade you not to read this book, it just wasn't for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

3 big boxes! Oh my gosh! Jackpot! Jealousy? Yeah, it is so here!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

i am so sorry. i've been there. you expect and want a book to be read. you have an idea of what it is about. you start reading and the next thing you are asleep! you pick it back up to start reading where you just left off and you end up going almost to the beginning. i hope the current one is a real page turner!

sandy
ps, this is NOT an entry

margaret said...

Hey Jenni! I just wanted you to know that I've given you a blog award which you can see here :)

http://bookwormbarista.blogspot.com/2009/07/passing-on-cheer.html