Contest Sticky


Friday, October 2, 2009

Review : Chosen by Desire by Kate Perry


Author : Kate Perry
Publisher : Forever Publishing
Genre : Paranormal Romance
ISBN : 978-0446541015
Series : #2 of The Guardians of Destiny
Release Date : September 29, 2009
Rating : 4/5 - Very Good!

Description from Amazon :

It's down to the wire and Carrie Woods is leaving China without the proof she needs for her thesis: Wei Lin's journal. While on a final tour of the monastery, Carrie finally locates the scrolls and attempts to photograph the documents. Caught in a sticky situation, Carrie takes the scrolls, only to notice a mysterious monk watching her--the same monk that she's seen each time she's taken a tour. Unable to return the scrolls, she travels back to California and isn't too thrilled when she notices the monk at the airport.

Maximillian Prescott first came to the monastery as an orphaned teenager when he inherited the Book of Metal from a distant uncle he hardly knew. After spotting a woman stealing from the monastery, he follows her to get back the documents he knows she's stolen. Max is further intrigued when he finds out that the chatty woman is friends with his archrival, Rhys Llewellyn, and he will stop at nothing to get back everything he's lost.

Review :

Carrie has never stolen anything in her life, until now. Her career is at stake, and the only thing she needs to do is find proof of the Guardians of Destiny is to find Wei Lin's Journal. Unfortunetly, it's hidden away in a monastary in China, but that won't stop Carrie. She takes the tour through the monastary multiple times before she is confident enough to sneak into their archives room. Just a few snapshots and she'll have what she needs, until she's just about caught! She stuffs the journal along with a few scrolls into her bag before she's noticed.

Max notices the blonde woman stealing from the archives room of the monastary. How can such a sweet, innocent looking woman go as far as to steal from a monastary? It doesn't surprise Max when he finds out that Carrie is friends with his rival and lost brother, Rhys Llewellyn. He knows that the two of them are up to something, and he's not going to let them get away with it.

After reading and reviewing the first book in this series, Marked by Passion, I was really interested to read more about Gabe's best friend Carrie Woods. Luckily, this second installment is focused around her. I liked Carrie' character far more than Gabe, although she does have her own problems as well. Carrie seems like someone I could actually befriend, because she is smart, funny, and not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She does have some commitment issues though, due to some problems in the past.

I'm not sure I can say whether I liked Max's character or not. He is very arrogant, and with being used to getting what he wants, he is a bit pushy with others to get just that. It didn't surprise me to know that him and Rhys butt heads in their past, as they are both the same type of character. Despite his flaws, he is a very caring character. At times it causes him to be over-protective, but it's only because he truly doesn't want harm to come to the people he loves.

This installment was pretty much paced just like the last installment, although I enjoyed this story even more. There was plenty of romance, when I needed it most, as well as some action. I was a little sad that there wasn't nearly as much paranormal focus as I would have liked, and I noticed this in the first installment as well. I would definitely recommend this book if you like a good action packed romance though.

I really liked the twist at the end of this installment. I was expecting it like I was expecting the end of the first installment. I literally had to stop and say, "Your kidding me!?" Although I should have seen it coming because it was sitting right in front of my nose the whole time. It just wasn't dangling like a piece of meat. I'm really excited to read the third installment now, and hoping it will focus on another featured character from this book. I can't honestly tell you who though, because it will give away some bits to the story.

I'd like to thank Anna Balasi of Hatchette books for sending me an ARC of this book. It was a great second to a very good series.

7 comments:

penney said...

This sounds good thanks
Penney

booklover0226 said...

I agree, this does sound good. One more to add to my wishlist!

Thanks,
Tracey D

Mandi said...

I like endings like that - where you want to slap the book down and talk to someone about it. I might have to try the first in this series!!

Tynga said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog¸^^
Have you chose the layout contest winner yet?

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

Tynga - Nope, haven't chosen yet. I'm going to sit down with my sister and we're going to choose together. Only problem is, I can't do that until Monday, because she works all weekend long, and so do I :)

It's going to be hard though, they're all beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Gotta get book one! Don't you just love that cover? :)

Great review!

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

Yes! He's scrumptious :) Although, he could use a haircut..I'm not into long hair on guys, lol.