Contest Sticky


Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Review : Covet by J.R. Ward


Title : Covet
Author : J.R. Ward
Publisher : Signet
Genre : Paranormal Romance
ISBN : 978-0451228215
Series : #1 Fallen Angels
Release Date : September 29, 2009
Rating : 3/5 Good

Description from Amazon :

Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about-his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option.

Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he's good with that-until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart-and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

Review :

Jim Herron never really thought about much in life, until the day that it all changed. He has a whole new job title, that is nothing like his previous position. He is a fallen angel, and his job is to save the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. He thinks it's crazy, but when the fate of the world is in his hands, he can't afford to fail.

Vin DiPietro has worked his way up to the top, and nothing will stop him from getting what he wants now. Money, and power are easy for Vin, but the love of a good woman? You can't buy happiness, and now Vin will have to trust a fallen angel to help him both save his soul, and keep the woman he loves.

When I first picked up Covet, I was expecting it to be just like Ward's previous series, The Black Dagger Brotherhood. While some of the language is the same, namely refrencess to shitkickers and glocks is right on, the actually story line itself is completely different. While the BDB gives off a paranormal feel, this first installment in the Fallen Angel Series feels more like a romantic suspense to me.

There isn't much paranormal activity in the beginning or even the middle of this novel. It all starts barreling toward you at the end, and while our main characters Jim and Vin are learning, we learn with them. The only similarities between this novel and the BDB Series is probably the fact that the men in these novels are described as brick houses, full of power, and seem to be very territorial and protective of their women.

I liked how this novel was not only supposed to be a paranormal story, but how there was an underlying mystery in it as well. It was suspenseful, and I couldn't help but turn the page to find out what happened next. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment in this series.

Where did I get this book? :

I purchased my copy through BookDepository.com in order to participate in the Blog With Bite discussion.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Great review! I didn't love this book, but I liked Jim and the fallen angels so I am kind of looking forward to book 2! :)

booklover0226 said...

I'm looking forward in reading this book. I have enjoyed Ward's BDB series and am curious how much I'll like this one.

Thanks for the review.
Tracey D

ParaJunkee said...

Great review hun. Thanks for participating, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I love the term Shitkickers...and I'm a glock fan. When the second one comes out I might have to reread and see if I enjoy this more.