Contest Sticky


Sunday, May 9, 2010

Review : Lost For Words by Alice Kuipers


Title : Lost For Words
Author : Alice Kuipers

Publisher : HarperTeen 
Genre : Young Adult 
ISBN : 978-0061429224 
Series : Stand Alone 
Release Date : May 11, 2010 
Rating : 4/5 Stars - Very Good

Description from Goodreads

Ever since Sophie Baxter’s sister was killed in the London terrorist bombings, she has retreated into herself. But there’s only so long she can keep everything bottled up inside before she explodes, and Sophie comes to realize that she must confront the horror of her past before she can face the future.

Up-and-coming talent Alice Kuipers lets her teen sensibility, humor, and fresh perspective shine in this remarkable story of family, hope, and perseverance in the face of tragedy.  

Review

Sophie Baxter has a lot going on in her life, and it all started the day her sister was killed in a London bombing.  Instead of finding an outlet, Sophie bottles up all of her feelings and holds onto them with the fierceness of a vice grip.  It's only a matter of time before she can't handle the knowledge of the horrors she has endured, and she will explode.  Her therapist gives her a notebook to begin writing down anything that will help her to cope, and this becomes her only outlet.

Lost For Words is written in journal entry form, and at first I thought this was going to be a big problem for me.  I've never really been a big fan of reading books written to be like a journal, but in this case, it was the reason for it's success.  I also thought that the short sentences would put a damper on my liking for this novel, but it only gave it more depth and feeling, as though a sixteen-year-old girl was truly pouring her heart out onto the pages.

I personally felt like I was prying into someone's private life when I started reading into the story.  Sophie clearly didn't want anyone to know her dilemma, and wanted nothing more than to just forget.  With her, we learn about how such a tragedy can take a toll on a whole family, and even the friends supporting it.  You could literally feel how much Sophie wanted to turn back the tables and have everything be the way it used to.

The one thing that really got me in this book, was Sophie's feelings toward her sister.  She was so heartbroken by her loss that nothing else mattered to her, not even her own life.  It makes you think of what you may possibly be taking for granted.  I have two younger sisters, and a little brother, and reading about Sophie's loss made me weep for her.  Towards the end of this book I was bawling my eyes out, and practically hiccuping because I was so gripped by the story.  It made me appreciate the family that I have, and since finishing it, I've been trying my hardest not to be so mean to them when they do little things that drive me insane.  No one should have to go through the pain of losing someone so close to them.

Where did I get this book?

Received for a tour with Around The World Tours, hosted by Princess Bookie.

Amazon Affiliates

Clicking on title links in this post will redirect you to Amazon.com. If you happen to make a purchase after clicking these links I will receive a small percentage of the profits.

5 comments:

Minding Spot said...

What a great review! This sounds fantastic :)

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

Wendy - Thanks hun! Hope you'll give it a shot!

Jenny Girl said...

I can ntell you were crying when you read the book because your review is making me empathize with Sophie, and I did't read the book! Excellent review Jenni!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I need to take some time for this one. Loved the review

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

Jenny Girl - Thanks! So very happy that you could grasp my feelings toward this book through my review!

Cleverly Inked - Thanks hun! I do hope I get a chance to read your review over at your site!