Contest Sticky


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review : Out of Body by Stella Cameron


Title : Out of Body
Author : Stella Cameron
Publisher : Mira
Genre : Paranormal Romance

ISBN : 978-0778327622
Series : #1 Court of Angels
Release Date : March 1, 2010

Rating : 3/5 Stars - Good

Description from Amazon :

Born of an ancient family of clairvoyants, Marley Millet finds that her psychic gift is both unsettling and incredibly dangerous. She never wants to "travel" again—but the choice is not hers to make.

After glimpsing the fates of two missing New Orleans jazz singers, Marley knows she has no choice and must speak up before more women disappear. Flinty cop-turned-writer Gray Fisher, who interviewed both chanteuses before they vanished, takes a special interest in Marley's incredible story—and in Marley.

Scouring the wild clubs of the French Quarter, Marley and Gray make an unlikely and uneasy team. But their determination is matched only by the heat between them…and the evil they have uncovered. 

Review

Marley Millet and her entire family are each gifted with a different ability.  As for Marley, she can 'travel' to different places and glimpse things that she would rather not see.  In this case, she's been witnessing the deaths of local New Orleans jazz singers.  She can't very well go to the cops, and tell them what she has seen without looking like a crazy person.  Against her better judgement, she does just that, but the only person who believes her is an ex-cop, turned writer named Gray Fisher.

The premise of this book sounded really appealing to me, so I made sure that I got my hands on a copy.  After finishing it, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.  Marley's character was okay, but she didn't strike me the way I wished she had.  I understand that the Millet family is very secretive, and don't trust the outside world, but I personally think Marley was far too shy.

I enjoyed the bit of romance between Marley and Gray.  Especially the little surprise about their romance that you'll have to wait to learn when you pick up the book for yourself.  I expected something along the lines of what was exposed, because of some information strewn along the way.  I however, didn't expect what was revealed about Gray toward the end of the book, and it made me understand more about him as a character.

I read this book a few months ago, but have yet to pick up the second installment to this series, Out of Mind, where we learn more about the next Millet sibling, Willow.  I'm looking forward to reading about her, as she sparked my interest in the first book.

Where did I get this book? :
I received my copy from a swapping site, whether it be Paperbackswap, or Bookmooch.

Amazon Affiliates

Clicking on title links in this post will redirect you to Amazon.com.  If you happen to make a purchase after clicking these links I will receive a small percentage of the profits.

0 comments: