Contest Sticky


Monday, April 5, 2010

In My Mailbox - April 5, 2010

In My Mailbox was started by Krist @ The Story Siren, inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

January 1, 1992 - Received from a friend.

"Mistress Bishop," said Magistrate Corwin, "you are accused of being a witch. How say you to this charge?"

"I do not know what a witch is."

Immediately the girls in the circle, who were sitting up front in the room, went into fits. They threw themselves on the floor and shrieked and wailed.... They twitched their bodies and howled like forest creatures at the time of the full moon. The howling was a terrible thing to hear. It cut through one's bones with its primitive sound.

May 18, 2010 - Received from Publisher

To ten-year-old Keeper the moon is her chance to fix all that has gone wrong ... and so much has gone wrong.

But she knows who can make things right again: Maggie Marie, her mermaid mother, who swam away when Keeper was just three. A blue moon calls the mermaids to gather at the sandbar, and that's exactly where Keeper is headed - in a small boat. In the middle of the night, with only her dog, BD (Best Dog), and seagull named Captain. When the riptide pulls at the boat, tugging her away from the shore and deep into the rough waters of the Gulf of mexico, panic sets in and the fairy tales that lured her out there go tumbling into the waves. Maybe the blue moon won't sparkle with mermaids and maybe - Oh, no ... "Maybe" is just to difficult to bear. 

Repossessed by A.M. Jenkins (Trade)
December 30, 2008 - Received from Bookmooch.com 

Don't call me a demon. I prefer the term Fallen Angel. 

Everybody deserves a vacation, right? Especially if you have a pointless job like tormenting the damned. So who could blame me for blowing off my duties and taking a small, unauthorized break? 

Besides, I've always wanted to see what physical existence is like. That's why I "borrowed" the slightly used body of a slacker teen. Believe me, he wasn't going to be using it anymore anyway. 

I have never understood why humans do the things they do. Like sin—if it's so terrible, why do they keep doing it? 

I'm going to have a lot of fun finding out! 

December 27, 2005 - Received from Bookmooch.com

Gwen "GiGi" Gelman, a ten year veteran of the Providence, Rhode Island vice squad, finds herself unemployed after being blamed for a routine bust that turned into a bloodbath. GiGi is used to being on her own, though, and with the help of a DA who owes her, she's scraped together enough capital to start her own PI business, specializing in"family problems"-in particular runaways who have disappeared into Providence's seamy underside.With a few custodian kidnapping cases under her belt, as well as a case against a Catholic school teacher/molester, GiGi is doing well for herself --until she takes on the case of a fourteen year old runaway who may or may not have been kidnapped.As GiGi investigates, she accidentally opens the door to her own mystical past. Now long-hidden family ties threaten her, and the secret of her identity unlocks a conspiracy that reveals the forces of darkness that play in the shadows....Forces that intend to be the masters of all mortal life. 

Now you know what's in mine, what's in yours?

5 comments:

Anna said...

I love the cover of Keeper. Enjoy your new books.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Tea said...

These are really good books. I just finished one by Ann Rinaldi. I think she's a fantastic author. I want to read more of her books.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com

fredamans said...

They all look good, but I like the cover of Repossessed best!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/in-my-mailbox.html

Monster of Books said...

A Break With Charity looks good, will be interested to see your thoughts on it!!

Jess. said...

Repossessed and A Break With Charity sound amazing. I'll have to add them to my TBR list

-Jess.
(Find the Time to Read)